Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Aba k huncha?

As someone involved in research projects for a few years, the best part of it is being in the field, talking to people, learning their stories, and sharing a cup of tea with complete strangers. I have been lucky to have been welcomed in almost all places I have visited for my fields. People are generally very warm and inviting. Having someone from the 'sahar' going to talk to them is something valuable for them.

When I am in the fields on various research assignments, I am always asked this one particular question, for which I have no answer. Today, while I was talking to women in a local community about the impact that microcredit has brought in their lives, they answered my questions excitedly. But almost all of them asked me, 'aba k huncha? tapaile yeti dherai kura sodhnu bhayo. Yasko niskarsha k huncha ta? tapaile haamilai jaagir dine ho ta?' In times like these, I question the significance of research. Do research projects lead to something valuable for the community?

Research reports compile a lot of recommendations for different stakeholders. Some recommendations are great, some not so great. But I wonder if those recommendations are looked into properly to have them implemented. It certainly is not the researcher's responsibility to get them implemented, but yes, the question of 'aba k huncha?' does certainly fall upon the researchers. Tomorrow I am going for my field visit again. I hope I am not asked this question for which I have no concrete answer.

No comments: