Tuesday, May 22, 2012

O Ri Chiraiya

The theme song O Ri Chiraiya from the first episode of Satyamev Jayate has moved me. I have been listening to this song for the whole of day. I have not got tired of it. I am not going to get tired of it. It is an amazing song. It makes me think of my two beautiful nieces, who I am missing. Had spent the weekend with them, but whatever time I spend with them is never enough. It makes me think of myself and my two sisters, growing up together, fighting, embracing, learning from each other. It makes me think of my grandmother who cried after I was born as the third granddaughter. It makes me think of my sisters' wedding, when my parents had wept for having to send off their daughters to their husbands' homes.

I was born at a time when the need of a son was a lot more stronger than it is today. So, I don't blame my grandmother for not being excited about my birth. I don't blame my parents for planning another baby just a couple of months after I was born with the hope of having a son. Thankfully, my brother was born, sparing my mother to have to go through the process all over again for the fifth time. I don't know what would have happened of me if Science had progressed enough to determine the sex of a baby in the mother's womb. I don't know what would my parents' decision be. I don't know if I would be blessed to be a part of this world.

I am glad that I am here, experiencing life.

I cannot think otherwise. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should watch the last episode as well, or may be u already have. The dowry system prevailing in India and Nepal or else where it is, as a girl it makes me abhor the practices and taboos. And the episode song "Rupaiya" is awakening one. (sorry couldn't paste the link here) .Hope you will find and like it.:)

White Scarf said...

Yes, I did watch the last episode as well. I belong to a culture which has been practicing the system of dowry for ages, and I cannot agree any less on how horrendous I find all this. I also loved the song 'Rupaiya'. One day, I plan to share my thoughts on this issue, and my personal experience too.

And thank you for reading and commenting!