Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ten things

Its been two days I left Kathmandu. Two nights, two districts, two rooms. This has been my story so far. Haven't been able to do much since there was a bandh on the first day I arrived (I reached this fancy hotel in a rickshaw), and yesterday was spent meeting a few people, having random conversations. It is funny how all of us so much dislike politics, but at a certain level, it is politics that brings us together, on which we can converse for hours.

Anyway, traveling to places always brings a sense of high. Other than a few things, everything about moving about makes me feel great.
  1. I love to meet people from all sorts of background, having all sorts of ideas, who can talk non-stop.
  2. The morning tea in my room, which is served without even asking for it.
  3. I can just do my official work, and not worry about cooking, cleaning, doing the dishes. Everything is taken care of.
  4. The television: I am not much of a TV person, but this occasional break is good.
  5. The non-Kathmandu air. It is just different. 
  6. The local rusticity
  7. The genuine smiles from people
  8. The free wi-fi that I get to use in random of places, like this one!
  9. The morning birds chirping by my window pane.
  10. And I get to enjoy all this absolutely free. Thanks to my office(s) :)
There are (very) few things that I am not very comfortable with during my travels.
  1. The bucket and mug in the bathroom
  2. The bed sheets and pillows
  3. Blankets
  4. Towels
  5. Lizards and cockroaches
  6. Very few times, the food
  7. The piles of clothes that I need to wash once I get back home
  8.  The loneliness
  9. The tan
  10. Well, cant think of the 10th thing!
But the goods certainly overshadow the bads, and I would never leave any chance to get out of Kathmandu just because there are dirty sheets, or smelly towels in the hotel room. This is also a part of the experience, after all! 

No comments: