Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Earthquake

I didn't feel it. I was just out of the parking lot, waiting for the lift. Men and women (I didnt recognize most of them) were running out of the six-storey building. It all looked so crazy. And then I saw one girl I recognized from office. She stopped me from getting into the lift. She asked me to run with her. I was perplexed but I complied. Only after reaching out of the building did I learn that people felt a quake here. As I google it now, the tremors were a result of 8.9 magnitude earthquake in Indonesia.

After 15 minutes of chaos, everyone came inside the office, and everyone settled down as if nothing happened. Everybody is scared, but nothing can be done. Mothers want to go back home and check on their kids, children want to be with their parents, wives with husbands, husbands with wives, boyfriends with girlfriends and girlfriends with boyfriends. But they can't. Because it is just 3:15 PM. They have to be at the office till 5:00 PM. It doesn't really matter if their heart is no more in their work. It doesn't matter that they will spend rest of the one hour and 45 minutes hopping from one website to another to find news of what is happening. It doesn't matter that they will use the remaining time to call all their loved ones to know if they are doing fine.

But, what matters is that they are all employees and they have to be here till 5:00 PM to fill their eight-hour duty at work. So, now, I will get back to  my work and be a good employee and shut up. Thank you.

No comments: