Friday, April 6, 2012

Seven Years in Tibet

I just finished watching 'Seven Years in Tibet'. Its a beautiful movie. It is not just a movie, but a journey. The journey of a man who finds enlightenment, friendship, love, and himself during his experiences in Tibet. The best moments in the movie are the private conversations between Heinrich Harrer (played by Brad Pitt), and the Dalai Lama (played by Jamyang Wangchuk), where they both share what they know best, Heinrich his knowledge of the world, and Dalai Lama his wisdom. During the end of the movie, Harrer, who is portrayed as an arrogant Austrian in the beginning of the movie, confronts his weaknesses in front of the Dalai Lama, and breaks down, and tells him that he misses his son, who he never got a chance to meet, because he left his pregnant wife in Austria to climb the Nanga Parbat.

I am presenting here the snippets of the conversation:

Dalai Lama (DL): We have a saying in Tibet. If a problem can be solved, there is no use worrying about it. If it can't be solved, worrying will do no good. So, stop worrying Heinrich.

Heinrich Harrer (HR): You have to leave. You have to leave Tibet. Your life is at great risk. Forgive my presumptions but I have made arrangements to get you out safely. We should leave right after the enthronement. The Chinese would never expect it.

DL: How can I help people if I run away from them? What kind of leader would I be? I have to stay here Heinrich. Serving others is my path of liberation.

HH: Then I don't go either.

DL: Why?

BP: Because you are my path to liberation.

DL: The Buddha said, 'Salvation does not come from the sight of me. It demands strenuous effort and practice. So, work hard and seek your own salvation diligently.' I am not your son and I never thought of you as my father. You were much to informal with me for that.

Do you think about him?

HH: *Cries and nods*

DL: And what do you think about?

HH: Its not a conscious thought, really. Its just always there. When I crossed Tibet, he was with me. When I came to Lhasa, he was with me. When I sit beside you, he's there with me. I can't even imagine how I pictured the world without him in it.

DL: Then you should go home and be his father.

HH: I know.

DL: You have finished your job with me.

After this conversation with Dalai Lama, Heinrich leaves for Austria, meets his son, and they are reunited after seven years. I feel just too overwhelmed with all the emotions. I will do no justice to the movie with my crappy review. So, you will really have to watch the movie to feel all the emotions, and be a part of the the transformation of a man, his journey from being a Olympian gold medalist to a friend to a father. Now I know why DR loved the movie so much. He was very possessive about the DVD, which remains with me, like a lot of many other things. I am sure he misses it.

No comments: