Friday, November 18, 2011

The story of my room

It was day before yesterday that my bed was attacked by a rat in the middle of the night. While I was tucked in my bed, sleeping peacefully, the evil rat (I have no idea how it entered the house), found its way into my bedroom, got inside my blanket and walked over my body (ewww!!!). I realized it very late, when it got to the top of my body. I jumped out of my bed, and it too jumped, and ran outside my room. Holy s**t! It was a frog some day back and now a rat. I don't know why do they love my room so much. So, since yesterday morning, I have not left the door of my room open even for a minute. While I hate the thought of the rat inside the house, I hate it even more to think of it inside my room.

So, I was in my room nearly the whole day, with the door closed, trying to work on a pending project (with occasional drifting to facebook, blogs, cooking, etc). So, I took a careful look of my room, and the things that are in there. After shifting to the flat, I had no idea how I would make my room livable. Everything I bought, and gathered together has a story attached to it. I will give you a brief virtual walk around my room.

1. As soon as you enter the room, the first thing you will see is my book rack. On the top shelf of the rack, I have my bags (since I have no other place to keep them). As I count them, I think I have eight bags, including one laptop bag which my brother gave to me reluctantly, three jute bags that DR got for me from different places (for my love of jute), one leather bag that my sister gave to me which was gifted to her by her brother-in-law (she gave it willingly since she had nowhere to carry the bag), two cloth bags, of which one my brother got from Delhi and one was given to me by my former boss (he had got the bag in one of the conferences he attended in India),and one fake leather that I bought looong time back. Hmmm...so, I never realized but almost all my bags are gifts :) Thank you everyone! So, going back to the book rack, other shelves of the rack has what a book rack is supposed to have, loooots of books that I got from different places, books that I absolutely love. There are magazines, files, loose papers, photo albums, notes from my postgraduate days (they are not over yet. The thesis thing is hovering over me), etc etc.

2. On the upper left and upper right of the book rack, there are two beautiful and exquisite painting and collage by a very dear friend and a fabulous artist Chirag Bangdel. One is from his series Geet Govinda, and the other is his very famous multimedia collage work that he calls Tattva. Both these paintings give life to my room, and the painting of Geet Govinda is right in front of my bed. So, I wake up everyday looking at this beautiful piece of art, which calms my senses. I cannot thank him enough for gifting (yes! gifting) them to me. :))

3. On the right corner of the room, there is my almirah. It is a simple wooden almirah with a half body mirror to its right side. On the left part, I have pictures pasted all over it. These are the pictures of me with the most important people in my life. As you can see, there are a lot of them. There are some pictures in the inside of the almirah as well. On top of the almirah are some awards that I received for my involvement in service projects, mostly in LEO Club.

4. Between the almirah and my bed (read mattress), there is a small low-square-table (if you understand what I mean). I had self-designed this table and had asked the carpenter in my neighborhood to make it, and I was very happy with the fifnal output. This table is full of little things including the minimal cosmetics I use, a lamp, a crystal tortoise gifted to me by M, a crystal Ganesha given by my brother R, a photo frame of my late grandparents, a photo frame with a picture of me and my mom, a statute of Lord Krishna, perfumes, binder clips, few CDs, a penholder, business card holder and a box of 'eggless cookies' (which I am munching as I write).

5. Between the table and my mattress, there are books which I am reading, and have not been able to complete for many reasons. The books are Law, Liberty and Livelihood: Making a Living on the Street, Edited by Parth J Shah and Naveen Mandava, Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Unleashing Nepal by Sujeev Shakya, and Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.

5. On my mattress, there are my blankets, pillows, some papers, and a cushion (which was given by my awesome team on my last birthday.

6. On the floor, above my carpet, there are lots of papers, notepads, books, my purse, a voice recorder, mobile cover, plates and bowls (which I have been too lazy to go and keep in the kitchen sink), and files which I always arrange when i clean but they end up becoming messy by the night.

7. There is also a hand made rug that my grandmother made. She was very good at them, and after she passed away last january, I brought one from home in her memory.

So, this is what my small room stores. I had never really looked at the things in this detail. While I completely hate the rat, I am happy that it made me sit quietly and enjoy what little I have :)

No comments: