Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Irongate Entrants


I normally sleep late these days, and as a result, it takes a lot of effort for me to wake up on time every morning. Today, while I was struggling to get up, I heard giggles and laughter coming from the street. With dreamy eyes, I looked out of the window and saw a group of young kids, dressed in their school uniforms, with the bright red tika on their forehead, with their school bags and hardboards, passing by from my place. I knew right away that those bunch of kids were heading to their examination centres for the first day of their School Leaving Certificate (SLC) exams. Oh! how happy they looked.

All their childhood, they have probably been fed with the fact, just like all of us were, that SLC is THE IRONGATE, passing which is going to ensure that they have a good life. They must have worked insanely hard to make sure that they get good marks, they must have had a lot of joint study sessions with their friends, they must have enrolled themselves in 'n' number of tuition centres, they must have had a lot of sleepless nights, and they must have let go off a lot of fun time, just for these nine days. I can so much relate to them.

They must now be thinking that the end of these nine days is going to be an end of their miserable life and that life will be a lot easier thereafter. But I don't know how many of them know that this is just the beginning. Life is going to be a lot more difficult, a lot more complicated, and a lot more harsh. I was never told pre-SLC that I would have to fulfill so many expectations, I was not told that I will have to work a lot harder to prove myself. Now when I think of everything, giving SLC exams was nothing, really. All I had to do was study hard. Everything else was taken care of. My mom would cook and clean for me, papa would fulfill my needs, my sisters would make sure I was comfortable. It is not the same anymore (I am not complaining, its just that way for everyone).

I am completely against creating this dreamy world for these little kids who are allured, and misguided. We need to be a lot more practical in our guidance and mentorship. We need to prepare them for what is waiting ahead for them. They should know what real world actually looks and feels like. Next time, when my cousin, my friend's sister, or my nieces and nephews are preparing for SLC, I will make sure that they know that this phase of their life is not the end all, and that it is just the beginning of life. I will wish them luck for what lies ahead of them.

No comments: